The Houston Gerontological Society
has served Houston’s professional community since 1986
and is dedicated to strengthening and enhancing current
and future services for older adults and their families.
Improving Recovery from Hospitalization in Older Adults
Dr. Volpi is the director of the Sealy Center on Aging. She is also the associate director of the Institute for Translational Sciences and CTSA, and a professor in the departments of Internal Medicine-Geriatrics, Neuroscience and Cell Biology, and Nutrition and Metabolism at the University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB), Galveston. Dr. Volpi currently holds the Daisy Emery Allen Distinguished Chair in Geriatric Medicine.
She received MD and PhD degrees from the University of Perugia, Italy, where she also completed her residency in Endocrinology and Diabetes. After a post-doctoral fellowship in gerontology and metabolism at UTMB, she became a faculty at the University of Southern California where she stayed for four years before returning to UTMB. read more
Location: Village of River Oaks
The Village of River Oaks is an elegant senior living community located conveniently in the heart of the River Oaks area of Houston, TX. The Village of River Oaks is scheduled to open in the spring of 2017 and will provide independent, assisted living, and memory care senior living apartments and services.
Located at 1015 S Shepherd Dr,
Houston, TX 77019
Director of Marketing
The Village of River Oaks
Office: 713-952-7600 Cell: 713-647-2230
On May 23rd, 2018, the networking and wine will start at 5:30 PM. Dinner will start at 6:15 PM, followed by presentation.
Flyer 2018 May CEUs will NOT be offered.
What a fabulous dinner we had on March 14th at
Clarewood House with speaker Conner Greenspan, LNFA!
Save the date for our next evening and dinner,
Tuesday, May 23rd, at the new River Oaks Assisted Living!
Registration coming soon
The Houston Gerontological Society’s
Certified Nurse Assistants (CNA)
2017 scholarship winners !
Marie Noel-KemiangIn loving memory of one of the
HGS founding members Dr. Ruth DeHart.
CNA Scholars Celebration
Students enjoying CNA 2017-2018 scholarships!
Congratulations to our 2018 Board of Directors and new board members !
A few of our 2016, 2017, and 2018 evening
networking lecture events:
- March 14, 2018: Geriatric Health Care, Financial, & Legislative Update with Conner Greenspan, LFNA
- Wednesday, 30 Nov 2017-Holiday Celebration of Aging and the Arts! Teri Miller, MS, OTR, and Jennifer Hackney, MT-BC
- Wednesday, 25 Oct 2017-Vivienne Armstrong, RN
- 19 September 2017 - Patrick Talley
- Wednesday, 14 June 2017 - Dr. Carmel Dyer, M.D., Gerontologist
- April 26, 2017-Peggy Determeyer, PhD, BCC McGee Fellow in Bioethics and Aging
- March 9, 2017-Robyn Horn
- January 25, 2017~ Rebecca Lunstroth, JD, MA
- December 6, 2016 - Robert Landau
- November 3-5, 2016 Aging Life Care Conference
- October 13, 2016 - Barbara Mancini
- September 14, 2016 - Dr. Sandra Gomez
Mr. Greenspan earned his Nursing Facility Administrator license with HMG Healthcare where he has worked in that capacity for the last 5 years, operating 4 different nursing facilities in Houston and surrounding areas over that time.
Dinner was fantastic at Clarewood House. Since its inception, it has been continuously inspired by a close relationship with the Methodist churches of Houston. In addition to offering weekly, non-denominational worship services to residents in our chapel, there is an in-house chaplain available to provide on-going guidance and prayerful support to residents and their families. Located at 7400 Clarewood Dr, Houston, TX 77036 Phone: (713) 774-5821 Map to Clarewood House
Holiday Celebration of Aging and the Arts!
Holly Hall Retirement Center, 2000 Holly Hall St, Houston, TX 77054
Teri Miller, MS, OTR, is the Early-Stage Programs Manager at the Alzheimer’s Association-Houston and Southeast Texas Chapter, where she has been employed since 1996. Teri has also served as an adjunct faculty member at Texas Women’s University Graduate School of Occupational Therapy, where she co-taught Issues in Adaptation: Intervention with Alzheimer’s Families.
Jennifer Hackney, a Board Certified Music Therapist and a Music Therapist all over the world. With this experience, she intimately understands the power of music to reach and connect people regardless of age, culture, language, and abilities.
Vivienne Armstrong, RN, gave a wonderful and informative presentation to HGS on October 25th
to a full house on LBGTQ Issues in Aging!
Hosted by Village in the Heights! Fabulous meal and event.
Pictured below were just the appetizers by our generous host Village of the Heights!
The meal was also amazing, topped with celebration chocolate mousse that was delicious.
Hosted by Village of the Heights
1407 Studewood, Houston 77008
Vivienne Armstrong, MSN, RN, is a volunteer with Ed-U-CARE, Inc., Dallas, TX. She is an registered nurse (RN) with a Master of Science in Community Health Nursing from Texas Woman’s University, combined with 40 years of experience in a variety of settings, including acute care, nursing education, community health, home health, and hospice care.
- Member, American Nurses Association and Texas Nurses Association.
- Served on various city, county and state community health-related boards, commissions and committees to improve services for the elderly and those with HIV.
- Recognized with many prestigious awards for professional development and community service achievements.
- Born in Tennessee, grew up in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and California. Lived in Colorado, Oklahoma and Vermont.
- As residents of Dallas, Vivienne and her spouse of 46 years, Louise Young, PhD, have been long time activists involved in the area’s social and political life.
- Now as a retiree, Vivienne is committed to improvement of the health care and services for older adults including the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community.
- Member, Board of Directors and Education Committee of Ed-U-CARE, a local nonprofit organization focused on caregiver education and training. Vivienne has presented basic training on working with older LGBT adults to nursing and social service providers.
- Certified SAGECare trainer.
Overture Tanglewood hosted the reception and dinner at Maggiano’s Little Italy, 2019 Post Oak Blvd, Houston 77056
Overture Tanglewood, 504 Bering Dr., Houston 77056 is Houston’s 55 and better active adult rental community !
Ask about after Harvey short-term residential specials @ (713) 344-9223.
Dinner and lecture was held at The Forum at Memorial Woods, 777 North Post Oak Road, Houston, TX 77027
Brief bio of Carmel Bitondo Dyer, MD, FACP, AGSF
Roy M. and Phyllis Gough Huffington Chair in Gerontology
Nancy P. & Vincent F. Guinee, M.D. Distinguished Chair
Professor, Division of Geriatric and Palliative Medicine
Executive Director of the Consortium on Aging
Special Assistant to the President
Speaker: Peggy Determeyer, PhD, BCC Program Flyer: April2017HGS
McGee Fellow in Bioethics and Aging at the Hope and Healing Center and Institute
Community Bioethics Dialogues: A Method for Engaging and Empowering the Public Regarding Aging and Health Care Issues Host and Venue: Brookdale Post Oak
CMS Equity Plan for Medicare: Implications for Seniors with Health Disparities
Venue: St. Dominic Senior Center
Medical Decisions and the Ethics: Flyer2017Jan
Managing Difficult People During the Holidays!
Recipes for Making the Holidays Brighter & More Effective
With Robert Landau, on Tuesday, December 6, 2016, at The Buckingham
Aging Life Care Association Conference
Aging Well: Meeting the Challenge
DoubleTree by Hilton Greenway Plaza
6 E. Greenway Plaza, Houston, TX 77046
This is not an HGS event, but it might be of interest to our members, so we are announcing it in that spirit.
On Thursday, October 13, 2016, at The Abbey at Westminster Plaza, at 5:30 PM