The Houston Gerontological Society
has served Houston’s professional community since 1986
and is dedicated to strengthening and enhancing current
and future services for older adults and their families.
Vivienne Armstrong, MSN, RN
Issues in LGBTQ Aging
Wednesday, October 25th, 2017
5:30 PM, Networking and Libations; 6:30 PM, Dinner and Program
Village of the Heights
1407 Studewood, Houston 77008
Vivienne Armstrong, MSN, RN, is a volunteer with Ed-U-CARE, Inc., Dallas, TX. She is an registered nurse (RN) with a Master of Science in Community Health Nursing from Texas Woman’s University, combined with 40 years of experience in a variety of settings, including acute care, nursing education, community health, home health, and hospice care.
- Member, American Nurses Association and Texas Nurses Association.
- Served on various city, county and state community health-related boards, commissions and committees to improve services for the elderly and those with HIV.
- Recognized with many prestigious awards for professional development and community service achievements.
- Born in Tennessee, grew up in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and California. Lived in Colorado, Oklahoma and Vermont.
- As residents of Dallas, Vivienne and her spouse of 46 years, Louise Young, PhD, have been long time activists involved in the area’s social and political life.
- Now as a retiree, Vivienne is committed to improvement of the health care and services for older adults including the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community.
- Member, Board of Directors and Education Committee of Ed-U-CARE, a local nonprofit organization focused on caregiver education and training. Vivienne has presented basic training on working with older LGBT adults to nursing and social service providers.
- Certified SAGECare trainer.
Congratulations to our new 2017 Board of Directors and new board members !
Save the date for upcoming holiday meeting:
Holly Hall, Thursday, November 30th, 2017
A Chorus of Memory
The Houston Gerontological Society’s
Certified Nurse Assistants (CNA)
2017 scholarship winners !
Marie Noel-KemiangIn loving memory of one of the
HGS founding members Dr. Ruth DeHart.
CNA Scholars Celebration
A few of our 2016 and 2017 events:
- 19 September 2017 - Patrick Talley
- Wednesday, 14 June 2017 - Dr. Carmel Dyer, M.D., Gerontologist
- April 26, 2017-Peggy Determeyer, PhD, BCC McGee Fellow in Bioethics and Aging
- March 9, 2017-Robyn Horn
- January 25, 2017~ Rebecca Lunstroth, JD, MA
- December 6, 2016 - Robert Landau
- November 3-5, 2016 Aging Life Care Conference
- October 13, 2016 - Barbara Mancini
- September 14, 2016 - Dr. Sandra Gomez
Overture Tanglewood hosted the reception and dinner at Maggiano’s Little Italy, 2019 Post Oak Blvd, Houston 77056
Overture Tanglewood, 504 Bering Dr., Houston 77056 is Houston’s 55 and better active adult rental community !
Ask about after Harvey short-term residential specials @ (713) 344-9223.
Dinner and lecture was held at The Forum at Memorial Woods, 777 North Post Oak Road, Houston, TX 77027
Brief bio of Carmel Bitondo Dyer, MD, FACP, AGSF
Roy M. and Phyllis Gough Huffington Chair in Gerontology
Nancy P. & Vincent F. Guinee, M.D. Distinguished Chair
Professor, Division of Geriatric and Palliative Medicine
Executive Director of the Consortium on Aging
Special Assistant to the President
Speaker: Peggy Determeyer, PhD, BCC Program Flyer: April2017HGS
McGee Fellow in Bioethics and Aging at the Hope and Healing Center and Institute
Community Bioethics Dialogues: A Method for Engaging and Empowering the Public Regarding Aging and Health Care Issues Host and Venue: Brookdale Post Oak
Robyn Horn: FlyerMarch2017!
CMS Equity Plan for Medicare: Implications for Seniors with Health Disparities
Venue: St. Dominic Senior Center
Medical Decisions and the Ethics: Flyer2017Jan
Managing Difficult People During the Holidays!
Recipes for Making the Holidays Brighter & More Effective
With Robert Landau, on Tuesday, December 6, 2016, at The Buckingham
Aging Life Care Association Conference
Aging Well: Meeting the Challenge
DoubleTree by Hilton Greenway Plaza
6 E. Greenway Plaza, Houston, TX 77046
This is not an HGS event, but it might be of interest to our members, so we are announcing it in that spirit.